Monday, December 12, 2011

Eighth Entry


February 10th, 2037

0700


Dear Space Diary.

Six days adrift. May have gone a little crazy for a while there. Yelled, screamed, lashed and kicked and smashed the wall with my fist. I stopped that eventually, because it didn’t seem to be achieving much, and I realised how incredibly stupid punching the only thing separating you from a vacuum was.

Also my fist hurt.

After that I just gave up. I stopped writing, I stopped reading, just stared out into the void as I rocketed through it. I even stopped eating. As it turns out, NASA have filled this ship with systems that monitor my well being, and if they detect low nutrition and/or extended periods of inactivity, it goes into what the pamphlet calls “Automatic Feeding Mode.”

That was... uncomfortable.

Minor scare yesterday: went through a meteor shower. Most  missed,  but one smacked straight into the side. Bounced right off. This ship is very well made.  Kind of makes you wonder how they intended to blow it up.

Don’t answer that question, NASA.

So here I am. In an indestructible ship that won’t let me die, with a near infinite supply of fuel and food.

Also a crossword puzzle and a book on origami.

0753

Half of these puzzles are already filled in. That’s pretty cheap, NASA. Especially as it’s a digital one.

0834

This Origami book is actually pretty interesting. There’s this story in here about a legend where if you fold one thousand origami cranes you get your wish granted. Nice thought. It’s just a pity I don’t have any paper or I’d... wait.

0950

Twenty-five.

1440

One hundred!

2144

326, 327, 328... Oh no. I’m out. I’m out of paper. There’s no more pages in the book. DAMN IT!

2215

In retrospect I probably should have counted the pages first. I’ll keep that in mind next time I start attempting to use a 1500 year old Japanese legend to grant me a wish. It was a stupid idea anyway.

So here I am. In an indestructible ship that won’t let me die, with a near infinite supply of fuel and food, and 328 paper cranes.

Also, there’s no gravity.

2220

I liked that book. Sigh.

I’m going to bed.

2340

<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>
__
ATTEMPTING COMMUNICATION BOOST. CAN YOU READ? I REPEAT, CAN YOU READ?

...WHY IS YOUR SHIP FILLED WITH FLOATING PAPER BIRDS?
__
<AWAITING REPLY>

No comments:

Post a Comment