Thursday, December 15, 2011

Tenth Entry


February 13th, 2037

1110

Dear Space Diary.

NASA has been silent for 48 hours. Haven’t had much to do apart from watch the stars go by and read the newspapers they’ve been forwarding to the computer. Hopefully that means they’re working hard. Either that or there’s something really good on television.

I miss television. NASA, send me some television.

1230

A copy of TV Guide wasn’t quite what I had in mind.

1440

Turns out the TV Guide wasn’t just rather tactless after all. NASA apparently have been considering ways to keep me occupied whilst they look for a solution. Awfully nice of them. They’ve apparently realigned an old satellite that wasn’t doing anything much and are going to try broadcasting some videos to the ship computer. Can’t watch live TV or anything, but should be able to download content and watch it once it comes in. I’m rather impressed. It feels like forever since I’ve watched a movie. If only there was popcorn.

2320

0.2% uploaded. This is going to take a while.

February 19th, 2037.

0517

90% uploaded.

I must still be accelerating. NASA have just told me I’m nearing Alpha Centauri, the closest star to our own Sun. Rather ground-breaking and pioneering, so I’m told to write down all I can.

1770

Here are my observations on Alpha Centauri:

It’s a star.

Sorry NASA, I’m not sure what else to say. It sits there and burns. Very bright too. I did take some photos with the ship’s camera and will transmit with the report.

1830

98% complete!

NASA are extremely excited by the photos of Alpha Centauri. Their last transmission was full of both commentary and exclamation marks. Still looks like a star to me, but glad they’re happy, I guess.

2300

100%! At last! Let’s see what they’ve sent me.

2305

Apollo 13. Great.

Seriously, guys? How about something not Space based, next time.

2325

NASA only have Space movies. I asked for Star Wars next.

2345

They don’t have Star Wars.

February 20th, 2037

0110

You can do it, Tom Hanks!

0655

<TRANSMISSION RECEIVED>
__
SOLUTION FOUND, TRANSMITTING DETAILS, STAND BY.
__
<DATA TRANSFER BEGINS>

They’ve thought of a solution! Provided it works, that is, so I suppose I shouldn’t get my hopes up.

<DATA TRANSFER COMPLETE>
__
PLEASE REVIEW MISSION DETAILS AND CONFIRM UNDERSTANDING.

YOU’RE NOT GOING TO LIKE IT.
__
<TRANSMISSION COMPLETE>

…Oh.

No comments:

Post a Comment