Thursday, December 15, 2011

Eleventh Entry


February 20th, 2037

0735

Dear Space Diary.

A little nervous to read this report NASA have sent me. It contains a potential solution to get me out of this spaceship and back to Earth. Which is fantastic and amazing. I honestly thought there wasn’t a way. However, I’m worried I’m not going to be very pleased with the solution they’ve come up with, largely because of the subtle way they wrote “YOU’RE NOT GOING TO LIKE IT” at the end of their last message.

Can’t put it off any longer. Time may be a factor.

0800

Still going through report. Largely technical information and schematics.

0830

Just to cheer me up, they’ve included some worrying figures about the ship. Travelling at three times the expected maximum speed (and still accelerating, I might add) apparently isn’t that good for the engine. If they can’t do something about it soon, the engines might die. And then explode. Charming. At least soon does mean about a month.

0930

Nearly finished report. So far it sounds fairly doable. The new prototype they mentioned earlier has completed Earth testing, and they are confident it will not suffer from the same “unexpected exceeded performance parameters.” Take that to mean the new model has brakes.

It’s being modified. They’ve taken most of the life support systems and replaced it with autopilot systems, long range remote controls, and what seems to be the world’s largest hook and pulley system. They appear to have turned their bold new passageway to the stars into an intergalactic tow truck.

So far, so good. They send it out to catch up with me, grab hold of the ship and manually turn it around and send me back to Earth. Not bad. Does mean I am still stuck in this thing until the other ship can catch up, but still a safe and straightforward plan.

Lots more in the report though. Shall keep reading.

1000

Spoke too soon. By fixing the braking problem they’ve also prevented the prototype from travelling at beyond maximum speeds, so there’s no way the ship could catch up with me.

So how do they intend to get to me?

1020

Here we go. They have limited control over my steering, and will use nearby astral bodies to effect an immediate emergency stop.

What does that mean?

1025

…Oh dear God, they’re going to smash me into a planet.

No comments:

Post a Comment