Thursday, December 29, 2011

Twenty-First Entry


March 4th, 2037

0725

Dear Space Diary.

NASA are still a little grumpy with me after I had the nerve to point out that their plan to blast me out of this hole in the ground was intrinsically flawed, basically because it relies using the ftl drive to fly me out.

Which we pretty much broke accidentally on purpose. So that’s out.

They’ve been mostly silent since then, only responding to my requests for updates with blunt replies that they’re working on it. I think I managed to hurt their pride.

Problem is: they’re my only hope. There’s really not much I can do for myself. About the only thing I have the power to do is move the camera. Can’t even stop eating, the system force feeds me if it detects I haven’t used it for 24 hours.

Honestly if I’d known this was going to happen I would never have blasted off in the… wait.

0900

Asked NASA how likely it was we have fuel left in the conventional rockets we used to leave Earth before the ftl drive was activated, and if there was any way of testing if they still worked.

1100

No response from NASA. Not sure if it’s because my idea was stupid or because they’re annoyed they didn’t think of it first.

Guess we’ll just have to –

1110

Well the good news is the rockets work.

The less good news is NASA are continuing their fine tradition of not telling me before they do anything. I was busy entering my last post when the rockets fired.

I am now upside down.

1130

Message from NASA, they’re about to try firing the conventional rockets to see if they work. Evidently the rocket signals got here first.

Better tell them it worked before they try again.

1230

NASA have advised that while it’s good the rocket works, they still can’t coordinate fast enough with long distance transmissions to effectively get me out. Which is a problem. But they have found a solution! Good.

They’re going to transfer control to the engines to me, and I can manually fly the ship out.

Less good.

NASA, I’ve been around spaceships enough to do some basic wiring work, but I’m not a pilot. I could end up putting this thing back into orbit. Do you honestly think I can do this?

1400

No. No they do not.

Great…

No comments:

Post a Comment