Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ninth Entry


February 11th, 2037

0810

Dear Space Diary.

NASA re-established communication overnight. Incredibly relieved to get their message. Hopefully they’ll get the phones working too; would be great to hear another human voice, even if it is just a grumpy, overworked NASA technician. They’ve advised that’s very unlikely. We’re too far out for conventional real time conversations, and it gets really annoying to have to wait 30 minutes between each response.

Thought about explaining my attempt to return home via Japanese legend, but decided giving any indication that I’d gone mad might affect:
a) Their test results, and
b) Their desire to find a way to get me back home.

So instead I told them the origami cranes were brought on by boredom and a possible overdose of nutritional paste.

0900

NASA do not have a way to get me home. The ship has now gone well beyond its intended maximum speed, which has affected the ability to perform any course alterations. Non ftl engines are unable to cope with the speed we’re travelling. They’ve assured me that the next prototype has already fixed this problem. I’ve assured them that I’m more concerned with the current prototype.

They advised me they are actively working on ways to turn the ship around. Will keep me posted of all possibilities.

Hopefully before they try them.

1100

I’ve asked what I should be doing in the meantime. Due to the fact that I am now well beyond the realms of human explored space – not even unmanned ships have ever been this far– NASA have asked me to observe “all passing astral bodies and elements, for possible exploration.”

In other words, they’d like me to look out the window.

1130

Asked them to pass on a message. The embarrassed response I got was that they had yet to tell anyone else on Earth what has happened, as it’s “a bit of a public relations nightmare.” According to them, I’m still due back in ten days.

We agree on the nightmare part. She doesn’t even know.

Truth be told though, I am relieved to be able to communicate again, and to know there may be a chance of coming home.

1520

They’ve sent me some newspapers so I can keep up with what’s happening on earth. That should cheer me up.

1530

PETA Ok’d the use of animals in space flight two days after I left.

No comments:

Post a Comment