Friday, December 9, 2011

Sixth Entry


February 4th, 2037

1400

Dear Space Diary

Pluto is now half a day behind me. Given I think this ship is still accelerating, I’ve no idea how far that actually is, but it’s a lot. There’s still not any sign that the ship is slowing down or beginning to turn. All I can do is look out the window and watch the planets disappear into the night.

I am no longer in the solar system.

NASA aren’t answering the phone. I’m still trying, of course, but there has been no answer at… one moment. Something’s coming through.

<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>
__
SHIP HAS NOT STOPPED ACCELERATING. UNABLE TO TURN OFF FTL ENGINE. ATTEMPTING TO REINITIALISE REAL TIME COMMUNICATION. ETA 1700. STAND BY.
__
<END TRANSMISSION>

I hate being right. Nothing to do but wait for three hours I guess. Too worried to think properly, but should try and distract myself.

1453

Six letter word for “No Hope. “

 I think that’s enough crosswords for now.

1623

I spy with my little eye, something beginning with O.

Oblivion. Correct.

Ok, you know what? Stop this. NASA will think of something. They’re just not talking to me because they haven’t thought of it yet. Keep calm.

1624

Oh my God, I’m going to die.

1655

NASA have fixed the communication systems. That’s the good news.

The ship is out of control. Literally. Due to an error, the ftl drive didn’t actually stop accelerating once it reached the desired speed. For the past two weeks it has slowly been getting faster and faster, and nobody bothered to check the speedometer.

To make things more fun, they can’t actually turn the engine off. The ship itself is going to pass completely out of their range in about four hours, so the clock is ticking.

There is a fail-safe. They can detonate the ship. I don’t consider that an acceptable suggestion, NASA. I am on the whole quite keen on not exploding.

1910

They are working on another solution where they turn the ship at full speed, which will eventually swing it around into an orbit that will let them pilot the ship back to Earth. Fantastic!

2020

That will take 400 years. Back to square one.

2045

Not long left NASA. What’s the plan?

2055

NASA. Help me.

2103

<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>
__
OUT OF TIME. NO SOLUTION FOUND. VERRY SOOO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-
<TRANSMISSION ABORTED>









2121

I’m alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment