Monday, December 19, 2011

Thirteenth Entry


February 22nd, 2037 – 3 DAYS UNTIL IMPACT

0843

Dear Space Diary.

23 hours, and 291 repeats of “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” later, NASA have finally worked out how to turn the music off. Despite the instructions I received, I am extremely worried and not at all happy, although before the music stopped I was beginning to look forward to crashing into the nearest planet, so I guess that’s something.

0915

NASA have promised to not try and reduce my stress in future. This has calmed me down immensely.

0925

I just realised according to the original schedule I should have been back on Earth yesterday. Evidently I’ve missed that particular window. I should ask NASA what they’ve said regarding my absence.

1035

NASA have forwarded me a copy of yesterday’s newspaper. I can only assume the following article refers to me.

<ATTACHMENT>

AN ENLIGHTENING JOURNEY
- Faster Than Light Mission Extended.
NASA officials universally voted to prolong their highly successful and informative test of the new faster than light (ftl) technology, originally due to return today.
“The ship performed even better than we expected” a key official was quoted as saying. “So we’ve decided to keep the ship going, as this is an amazing opportunity to test its effects outside of our own solar system. Everything will be fine so long as we don’t crash into a planet or anything, although you shouldn’t be surprised if that happens,” he joked.
NASA also announced due to their new sponsorship deal with PETA that competition winner “Bobo the Wonder Dog” will be the first animal to be sent into space in 50 years. NASA have yet to confirm dates, but…”

<END ATTACHMENT>

What follows is a 6 page spread about Bobo, the dog that has won the heart of the world.


1410

NASA have found me a planet to crash into. I’m not sure what my response to that is supposed to be.

The planet, which they’ve codenamed Splat, is a small, fairly rocky planet with no visible oceans and an atmosphere that has been described as “Mildly Lethal” in the report they’ve sent me. The rock where I’ll be landing is very soft and sponge like, and is the nearest planet to provide a change of survival in the double digits.

NASA have begun adjusting the steering of the ship. I’m going to crash in three days’ time.

2210

Stupid Bobo.

No comments:

Post a Comment