Thursday, December 8, 2011

Fifth Entry


February 2nd, 2037

1400

Dear Space Diary

Wasn’t expecting to see another planet so soon but sure enough Saturn is outside my window, rings and all. Better call NASA.

1420

NASA, realising that travelling at light speed does not in fact give me the power to read minds, have forwarded some coordinates on Saturn’s “surface” that they’d like me to photograph using the external camera as I go past. I’m surprised; both at them actually needing me to do something, and also the fact that I didn’t know the ship had a camera. I guess there’s more to this capsule than I thought.

Coordinates entered. The ship’s camera will automatically do the rest. Don’t even need to worry about focus or lighting out here.

Back to being bored.

February 3rd, 2037

1120

Just saw Uranus. Yeah I’m not going to touch that one.

Seems awfully quick though. The gas planets are pretty far apart, astronomically speaking, and yet if anything they’re getting closer together. Maybe we’ve sped up. I’ll take some photos of Uranus (note to self – find better way of saying that) and then give NASA a call.

1127

NASA will look into the speed issue. Don’t really care that much to be honest, only one more planet and then I get to go home again. Ahead of schedule too. Won’t find me complaining.

2344

NASA just woke me up to tell me I’m about to pass Neptune, and can I get some photos. I thought I wasn’t meant to reach Neptune for another 36 hours. This is getting a little weird. We’re definitely speeding up. NASA don’t seem too bothered though, so I guess it was the plan all along. I’d be worried that they hadn’t told me, but then, they never tell me.

Pluto is still getting snubbed by the space community so I won’t need any photos. I’ll be going nearly as far as Pluto, and then with the largest three-point-turn ever performed, I will turn around and head for home.

I say “I”, but I won’t really be doing anything. NASA and the computer will do all the driving. I’ll heroically do the crossword puzzles they uploaded.

February 4th, 2037

0740

Reaching Pluto in 40 minutes, so we must be turning around soon. Nearly there!

0810

There’s Pluto. Must take a while to turn at this speed.

0940

NASA? Why aren’t we turning?

1339

Hello?

No comments:

Post a Comment