Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Nineteenth Entry


March 2nd, 2037

0600

Dear Space Diary.

NASA have sent me three different mission reports this morning, with a list of criteria they’d like me to check for, and possible scenarios to get myself and possibly this craft out of this rather large hole and on to the surface.

Coincidentally, that’s exactly the number of files I’ve deleted this morning.

Since I know you’re reading this NASA, I will establish once again that I have no intention of doing any research, exploration, or indeed, any other kind of work for you. I signed a contract to be a pilot for a test flight to the edge of the solar system and back. Given I’m now in a completely different Solar System and stuck 90 metres underground on a mystery planet known only as Splat, I feel very disinclined to help you out.

Sorry. But I’m ready to go home now.

0700

NASA just sent me a very angry message telling me that this is a historic opportunity to get data about another planet that may never be available again, and it would be a crime against humanity for me to refuse.

This is certainly true, and I understand where you’re coming from.

However: Not in my job description. Not even a little bit.

1100

NASA have written back, much more politely this time, saying Mission Control have very kindly offered me a pay rise and an extra bonus should I kindly consent to assist them with the extra work load.

I replied with a polite thank you for the offer and included a rough breakdown of the current funds owed based on my existing salary, plus previously promised bonuses, plus off peak loading, plus overtime, plus double overtime for extended work hours, plus interest.

Based on this, I felt additional pay was not needed at this time, and so felt I must decline.

1300

NASA just messaged to ask if I liked puppies. Can’t help but feel they’re scraping the bottom of the barrel here. Also a puppy is not all that much use to me until I get home, whereupon I can afford to buy 900 puppies.

So again, no.

1400

NASA have messaged me again. The ship they’re sending to get me won’t actually be able to pick me up to return to Earth unless I can get out of this hole.

1600

So about that pay rise…

No comments:

Post a Comment