Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Twentieth Entry


March 3rd, 2037

0800

Dear Space Diary.

Current Status of Mission:

Stuck Down a Hole

Current Mission Objective:

Get Out of Hole

Personal Goals & Aspirations:

Not Be Stuck in a Hole

NASA, after trying various unsuccessful ways to bribe me into exploring the planet they very cleverly managed to crash me in to, have finally admitted that the space tow truck they’re sending to get me won’t actually be able to fish me out of the hole that they’ve landed me in. Unless they or I can think of a way to get this ship to the surface, I’m stuck down here.

So it appears I’m going exploring. Or at least, I will be, once I get out of there. There’s literally nothing to see down here. It’s too dark to even see the rock surrounding me, though presumably if I could look up I would see a light at the end of the tunnel.

How very metaphorical.

In fact, that’s probably the first thing to work out. I’m strapped in pretty well, but as far as I can ascertain, gravity is… that way. Effectively I’m facing straight down, so it looks like the ship had a pretty clean ride after impact. This rock must be extremely soft.

So, if I’m going to get out of here, I need to turn this ship so I’m facing upwards.

NASA have been quiet for a while now. Any ideas yet, guys?

1400

Nope.

1500

Finally a response. NASA advised their plan is to turn me around is to fire the engines in very short bursts to spin the craft around, and then fire them to shoot me back out the same way I came in.

Which sounds like an excellent plan, except:
  1. Given how far away we are, it will be very difficult to control the engines with that amount of precision. If you fire it in the wrong direction, it’ll take half an hour for the message to correct it to come through.
  2. As I’ve reminded NASA on numerous occasions, the reason I’m out here in the first place is because once you turn the ftl drive on, you can’t actually turn it off again.
  3.  Most importantly, we just spent the last two weeks breaking the very engines you now wish to use.


Your move, guys.

1700

NASA have advised me that they don’t like my tone.

No comments:

Post a Comment