Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Fourth Entry


January 23rd, 2037

1400

Dear Space Diary

Just passed Mars. Not very red. No one’s been down there yet. An astronaut did pass by 6 years ago but she only went around it and came back. Never landed on the surface. I do remember hearing about another mission when I was a kid, the Zubrin or something. They never found out what happened to that guy, total blackout from the rocket.

Bit creeped out now. Stupid memory.

Should probably tell NASA about Mars. They’re probably wondering if it’s still there.

1420

NASA didn’t answer the phone. Oh well, back to looking out the window.

<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>
__
WE KNOW ABOUT MARS. WE WERE THERE SIX YEARS AGO. YOU’RE GOING TO GO THROUGH THE ASTEROID BELT IN TWO DAYS. WE’VE BEEN THERE TOO. – NASA
__
<END TRANSMISSION>

1440

Honestly don’t know why I bother sometimes.

January 25th, 2037

2300

Asteroid Belt. Lot emptier than you might think. I think I saw one asteroid the whole time.

January 26th, 2037

0315

Woken up by NASA. Seems they’ve had a change of heart. Wish they didn’t have one at three in the morning, but guess it’s a good thing.

They've forwarded some newspaper articles regarding the mission to my computer, to show me that my efforts have not gone unnoticed. At least I assume it’s my mission. I can’t seem to find any reference to me in them. In fact, a few of the articles don’t seem to know this ship is manned at all. There’s a lot about the pioneering drive and vision of NASA, though.

They've also transmitted a few books to read on the computer, including an instructional origami book which they hope will help pass the time.

I notice, however, that they haven’t supplied any paper. I guess it’s the thought that counts.

0415

Can’t sleep. Stupid NASA.

January 31st, 2037

0010

Ok, I have to admit that Jupiter was pretty amazing. I’m the first person to see it from this close. No one has even been out this far before. No sign of Jupiter’s spot though, guess I must be on the wrong side.

NASA have made it pretty clear they don’t want me calling just because I’ve seen a planet, so time for bed.

0500

<INCOMING TRANSMISSION>
__
HAVE YOU GOTTEN TO JUPITER YET? VITAL PHOTOGRAPHY IS REQUIRED, PLEASE ADVISE ASAP. – NASA
__
<END TRANSMISSION>

0850

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment